Sunday, May 14, 2017

TERRY VOSBEIN - Fleet Street



TERRY VOSBEIN
The Knoxville Jazz Orchester
Fleet Street

Pretty Woman

Several years ago a friend called and said she had an extra ticket to the Lyric Opera. She ask if either my wife or I would be interested in going. I asked what they were doing and she said Sweeney Todd to which I replied , “Huh”?   I had never heard of it. But my wife wasn't interested so I went and became a huge fan of Sweeney Todd. There is at least one theatrical movie out which is very good and then that God awful thing with Johnny Depp that should be buried deep. 

Then I saw that Terry Vosbein had written and conducted a big band score of the musical. I had to get it. Terry was a fairly well know composer and musicologist who, to me, was best known for his cataloging of the Kenton arrangements at North Texas. I was not at all disappointed in the recording. It’s excellent..

So in honor of Terry Vosbein, who just today became a member of this group, here is a track from his recording, Fleet Street.  I might add that the band elicited much the same reaction from me as did the Madison Neophonic, ie, where did all those fine players come from in a town like Knoxville, Tn?


 WARNING. Don’t  listen to this recording too much or you might get an overwhelming urge for meat pie..

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANDY MARTIN - VIC LEWIS The Project

Popular Posts