Sunday, May 21, 2017

GORGON GOODWIN












GORDON GOODWIN Swing For The Fences


Sing Sang Sung

I first saw Goodwin several years ago at one of Ken Poston’s events. Of course I loved it. But that love was not universal. After the evening’s performances that included several other big bands, I was taking the elevator back to my room and there were several old guys, probably my age now, commenting on the nights performances and when it got around to Goodwin, One guy said,”Yeah, he’s OK but he’s not our kind of music.” To which his companions all agreed. I couldn’t help thinking about how that kind of attitude does nothing but harm the acceptance of younger people of jazz.

I remember on afternoon driving home fro work. I had my iPod blasting and my windows open.
I was playing everyone from Basie to Kenton and nary a glance from others while sitting in traffic. Then Gordon Goodwin came on. A young lady in a car next o me smiles and asks who it was I was playing. Well, first of all it was a surprise that a lovely young lady would even acknowledge my presence, but even more so that she was so appreciative of the music. I gave her the info abut the recording, the traffic moved on and all was well with the world.

The point is, that we must look at things that are not only excellent quality but things that young people can relate to.


Swingin' For The Fences : Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band : Dan Savant (tp) Dennis Farias (tp-14) Gary Grant (tp-15) Jerry Hey (tp-16) Larry Hall, Wayne Bergeron (tp) Arturo Sandoval (tp-17) Alex Iles, Andy Martin (tb) Bill Reichenbach (tb-12) Craig Ware (tb-13) Steve Holtman (tb) Eddie Daniels (cl-18) Eric Marienthal (sax-19) Brandon Fields (sax-20) Bill Liston, Dan Higgins, Greg Huckins, Sal Lozano (woodwinds) Gordon Goodwin (p-9,woodwinds) Jim Cox (p-10) Tom Ranier (p-11) Grant Geissman (g-5) James Harrah (g-6) Carl Verheyen (g-7) Dave Stone (b-1) John Pena (b-4) Bernie Dresel (d-2,perc-8) Gregg Bissonette (d-3) Luis Conte (perc)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANDY MARTIN - VIC LEWIS The Project

Popular Posts