Tuesday, December 12, 2017

TERRY VOSBEIN




Terry Vosbein
Ne me quitte pas
Well, not quite a “big band” but close and I love Jacques Brel and I am a fan of Terry Vosbein’s writing.

(Thanks to Terry, Here is the info from his web site about this recording.)

I feel fortunate to have spent many extended periods of time living and composing in Paris. Piaf, Brel, Trenet and Aznavour were as much a part of my experiences as Hemingway, Picasso and Stravinsky.
Each day as I strolled through that magical city I would hear their songs, from street musicians, from club performers, from whistling pedestrians. For this project I set out to recast those familiar melodies in a cool jazz mold, retaining the spirt of the originals, but embedding them with my own swinging vision. I examined over a hundred poignant songs before deciding on these. It was impressive that so many classic French songs were composed by the very performers who made them famous.
Upon completing an even dozen new arrangements, and totally under the spell of these great songs, I decided to compose an original work. I spent a recent summer living in old Montmartre. I tried to capture the sounds, sights and smells of that unique village on the hill overlooking Paris in this new Chanson Française, Dans le vieux Montmartre.
Once the music was arranged the real fun began. The notes that I write are just dots on a page until the performers turn them into a living, breathing and swinging organism. It was a thrill to have these good friends and seasoned veterans of the jazz world bringing my creations to life.
And it was a bit scary. We had just one shot at each selection. There were no second takes in this concert/recording session. The virtuosic playing and superb improvisatory talents of these nine musicians is astounding and I couldn’t be happier with the results.
So sit back, prepare your favorite French beverage (mine is café crème) and enjoy these fun selections. Toe tapping is sure to follow. Dancing is optional.
— Terry Vosbein

TRACKS
Et maintenant What Now My Love
Quand on n’a que l’amour If We Only Have Love
L’Accordeoniste
Ménilmontant
La vie en rose
La Bohème
Dans le vieux Montmartre
Ne me quitte pas If You Go Away
La mer Beyond the Sea
Que reste t’il de nos amours I Wish You Love
Boum
Non, je ne regrette rien
Sous le ciel de Paris Under Paris Skies

PERSONNEL
Tom Artwick alto sax
Don Aliquo baritone sax
Chris Magee trumpet
Rich Willey trumpet
Tom Lundberg trombone
Rick Simerly trombone
Tony Nalker piano
Rusty Holloway contrabass

Keith Brown drums

1 comment:

  1. This was a live concert in Lexington, Virginia at Washington and Lee University in early 2016.

    Terry Vosbein, leader + arranger
    Tom Artwick, alto sax
    Don Aliquo, baritone sax
    Chris Magee, trumpet
    Rich Willey, trumpet
    Tom Lundberg, trombone
    Rick Simerly, trombone
    Tony Nalker, piano
    Rusty Holloway, contrabass
    Keith Brown, drums

    more details are at http://www.maxfrankmusic.com/catalog/chanson_francaise/

    ReplyDelete

ANDY MARTIN - VIC LEWIS The Project

Popular Posts